|Coconut Oil infused with curry leaves |
Warm oil treatment to prevent premature greying and reduce hair loss.
I love using warm oil treatments for my hair, and most days it's just something as simple as massaging warm olive or coconut oil as a prewash treatment. Every once in a while, though, I like to add in a little something extra to the oil. My favorite ingredient to add is curry leaf, commonly used in South Indian and Sri Lankan cuisine and NOT the same as curry powder. Apart from the unique flavor they impart to food, curry leaves also have phenomenal health benefits including being rich in antioxidants, iron, flavinoids, etc. When infused into coconut oil or as a paste, they are also believed to be quite effective in preventing premature greying of hair - not really a big help to me considering I have all the grey hair I need already - as well as strengthening hair roots. It's easily available in most Indian stores, and here's how you can make your own curry leaves infused warm oil treatment (I am quite familiar with using a microwave and working with oils in a microwave, but if you are not, please ask someone who knows to help you).
- The oil needs to be heated to "warm," not boiling, bubbling, hot, fuming, steaming, flaming, etc. If you are unsure of what that means, please do not try this. Oils can heat up quite fast and burn/cause fires, so please check every 5 to 10 seconds instead of just leaving this unattended for 30 seconds in the microwave. Heating times can vary depending on the microwave and quantity of oil used. And please, don't leave oil spills uncleaned in the microwave.
- Ask someone to help you with the heating/transferring part if you are not familiar with handling hot foods and/or oils. Hot oils can cause burns (you shouldn't have heated the oil to burning/scalding hot, though).
- Wait for the oil to cool down to a comfortable lukewarm temperature before attempting to use on scalp/hair/skin.
- Do not use if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
- This may or may not prevent premature greying or give any added strength to your hair. I believe it does, but I don't have any scientific studies to prove the point.
Curry leaves - nutritional information and health benefits - source HERE.